Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fanny Crosby



LIVE IN THE MOMENT AND MAKE IT SO BEAUTIFUL THAT IT WILL BE WORTH REMEMBERING.


-Fanny Crosby

Last night we were delighted to be at mother/ daughter banquet that featured Fanny Crosby. ( Actually it was an impersonator, but she was very good.) It was wonderful to listen to "Aunt Fanny" (as she liked to call herself) and tell about her life, the poems and hymns she wrote, and to see what she might have been like. The thing that struck me the most though, was her joyful spirit and thankfulness. She lived a normal life, for then. She could identify the flowers and birds just by the sound or feel, at 4 or 5. I can't do that now with my sight. She learned to sew , crochet and knit as a child to help with household chores. I have been remiss in teaching my daughters. She was even happy, not just content with, but really happy that she lost her sight. Because she used her other senses more and was not "distracted" with the sights. How many things am I distracted with? But she was so joyful and thankful in all she did and had. She wrote poems about it. She spoke to others. She was outgoing for the Lord. She loved to hear how her hymns encouraged others and the stories that went with the songs she wrote. So I am purposing to be more thankful and joyful myself after her wonderful example

No comments: