Thursday, September 10, 2009

Kids cooking and life in general

My two sons (11 & 12) were cooking supper and were making sloppy joes and baked beans. The 11 yo just wanted to dump it all together and get it done. The 12 yo replied "that's not the way you do it, you put the beans in this pan and add just a hint of bbq sauce." (He loves to cook.) But, my older daughter thought he might just be watching too much Martha Stewart with me.

Meanwhile, my 3 and 5 year olds were outside hungry. My 5yo daughter proceeded to make a "salad" for her brother out of grass and leaves. It must not have been to good because he came in quite indignantly and stated" SERENE CAN'T COOK!"

Life goes on at it's own pace whether we do or not. I have had a lot of health problems this summer starting with pneumonia and going from there. My children have been tremendous helps with all the extra chores and cooking that I have not been able to keep pace with. I had some pulmonary tests today with a possible solution to try and I actually have more energy today. One of the hardest things for me is pacing myself. I tend to flat out run until I can't and find that is no longer a possibility. So I have been pondering what God is teaching me and my family through this. Because even though I am the one who is ill, my family bares a lot of the brunt of the effects. I do not have the stamina so have had so I am having to be more careful in the choices I am making. Good, better, best has new meaning when you know that only is not only the best choice but physically possible. If I can only read for a little while without going hoarse, you can bet I am trying to choose the best book and not just a good one. I love to cook, and I love to make elaborate meals too but if I am too tired afterward to visit with my family and hold an intelligent conversation, a simpler meal is the best choice. Besides, all meals look fancy by candlelight. So, daily, hourly, I find myself seeking God for His best instead of my best and I think that is what I needed all along.

No comments: